A short while ago the University of Wyoming sent us a small Eocene Paramyidae upper molar from their collections. They had asked me to test the capabilities of the Macropod professional and, if possible, see what we could do with Photogrammetry. In less than 24 hours, we were able to capture 2 5x photographs of the sample and one cropped region at 50x magnification. We also learned how to use a software program called Photoscan, which was entirely new to us. The following video is our very first attempt. I must say….. it’s wickedly good for a first attempt at 3D photogrammetry of a subject this size.
The above video was created from 36 source images that were captured at 21 megapixel resolution with the Macropod professional. The image capturing and processing took about 4 hours. I was able to consult an amazing instructional video that I found on YouTube for help. It can be found here and was made by TDA Digital.
A final Poster of the sample can be found here. The two 5x perspectives are above, the 50x crop captured with our Micro Kit is found below. Another 50x crop was captured of the region just left of the box highlighted on the poster and can be found near the bottom of this page.